Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Wake Up!

OK, so ... I did my first running workout today. It was a wake up call for sure. Thankfully, I decided to start with the Week2 workouts, which consist of a 5 minute warmup walk, then 6 intervals of 90 second run and 2 minute walk, then 5 minute cool down. About halfway through the first run I realized that this was not going to be an easy task. During the second run I was thinking about pushing my first 5k out a few more weeks. But I settled in and decided I would trust the system and not make rash decisions on the first 20 minutes.

On the positive side, I did not have any pain when I was running. There was soreness throughout the day, but nothing overwhelming. Nothing that felt wrong. I was definitely working hard during the runs, and my pace was pretty slow, but I'm still looking forward to trying it again. The track that I ran on is asphalt and I was a bit worried that it would hurt to run, but it wasn't too bad. As I get into longer distances I'll probably have to find somewhere else to run.

One thing I did learn ... there's a lot of stuff bouncing around when I run. I wonder if they make a sports bra for a guy's belly, because that thing is flopping all over the place. Just another incentive to keep losing weight.

I found these podcasts for C25K that play music and give you cues for when its time to change paces, so that was really helpful. It made it a lot easier to not have to worry about watching a clock, just listen and run.

I feel pretty good now and think I'll probably go to the gym for weights and low impact cardio tomorrow morning after getting the girls off to their first day at school. I plan on doing the running workouts on wed, fri and sunday.  I'll take Monday's as a full day off, and leave Saturday as an optional day depending on how I feel.  Tuesday and Thursday I'll do cross training, weights, maybe the bike or the elliptical machine.


No comments:

Post a Comment