Monday, August 15, 2011

Day Off ... Except for Work

So today was my rest day, no workouts for me. I got up and helped the girls get ready, then walked them to the bus with my wife. Got home, relaxed, took my time getting ready. When I got dressed I accidentally grabbed my running shoes instead of my dress shoes. Yea, its kinda sick but I really wanted to go running today. Must fight the urge to do to much too soon. I had originally planned to go to the gym tomorrow and run on Wednesday, but I've decided to switch those days because I'm anxious to get to the next week of the program.

Next week is going to be a challenge as I have to travel a couple of days for work. If I keep my current schedule I'll only have to run one day while I'm away, but I'll have two cross training days to do.  I might try swimming at the hotel pool or use the gym there. I think there's also a gym at the office I'm visiting that I might be able to use. I'm glad to have these types of challenges during my training, as it'll help me further prove to myself that I can accomplish this.

On a non running topic, today I read the op-ed piece that Warren Buffett wrote in the NY times this weekend. He has always seemed to me to be a reasonable man. If you haven't read it, take a look here. I never understood the widespread opposition to taxing the rich. Has the debt ridden "McMansion" culture of the middle class made these people believe that they are rich? Why are some middle class people so adamantly against taxing the wealthy? I think a big part of it is that a lot of people either think they are rich, or they think they will be rich in their lifetime. For most of them its just a delusion and they end up voting against their own interests in favor of this illusion that they are protecting themselves.

I also don't understand the argument that taxing rich people will stifle investment. What else are they going to do with their money? As Buffett says, I've never heard of someone refusing to make money because they may have to pay more taxes on that money. Especially the kind of people who feel that they need to earn $50 million a year to be happy. Just saying.

2 comments:

  1. Hey JB...I just started c25k and find myself wanting to run on my off days as well, but I restrain it. LOL. Enjoying your blog, man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Allen. Been following yours too. Who knows, maybe we'll run the Peachtree together next year. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete