Tuesday, August 9, 2011

School Approaches!

So today was a rest day in the fitness arena.  I know it seems odd to take a rest day the day after I announced my big project, but I have been hitting the gym for a couple of weeks now and I worked out Saturday, Sunday and Monday.  I can do 45 minutes on the machine for which I do not know the name (the one that looks like a nordic track or something) keeping my heart rate between 135 and 145 the whole time, so I'm not too worried about the endurance to do the running. What I am worried about is my legs, my knees and my ankles taking the punishment of running.  I'm going to hit a track tomorrow morning and see how that goes.

Today was kindergarten open house for the girls.  We got to go in and meet their teachers, see their classrooms and write checks for lunches and PTA and all that fun stuff.  Quite a scene. You can tell the parents who have been through this before from those of us who are going through it the first time. We first timers have the same awed look as the kids, poring over all the paperwork that still needs to be filled out and trying to remember bus routes and emergency contact numbers. Having two of them in different classes makes it all the more nerve wracking. The girls handled it really well. Both of them have kids in their class that were in their pre-k program last year, and both seem to love their teachers, so it should be a good start to the year. School starts on Thursday.

We'd been thinking about getting a DSLR camera for a while now, and I've been doing tons of research. We had planned on waiting until later in the month to get it, but that planned changed a bit today. Neither of us wanted to take pictures of the girls first day on the bus with our cell phones, and our point and shoot is conveniently misbehaving, so we finally pulled the trigger on the camera. Quite different than what either of us is used to, but we're already having a great time with it. Between getting fit and learning to take cool pictures, I think the next couple of weeks will be pretty full.

Oh, and forgot to mention, thanks to my neighbor Romeo who will run the 5K with me. All I need to do now is pay my $25 and the miser in me will not let that money go to waste by quitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment