Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Plodding Along

Back to work yesterday, but day off from exercise. My knee was feeling ok for most of the day. I tried to do some stretches at the end of the night, as they felt more tight than in pain. Last night was Curriculum night at the girls' school. Both girls got great reports from their teachers, and both of the teachers got great reports from my wife, so it was a success!

This morning I got up and went to the gym for strength training. I warmed up on the elliptical, did weights and then did another 30 minutes on the elliptical. My knee felt pretty good during the workouts, though there was some pain when I did the leg extensions and the leg press. Once I got off the elliptical I was sore, but by the time I got home and ate breakfast I was feeling better. Work was darn busy and I didn't think much about my knee most of the day and it didn't hurt enough to wedge its way into my mind.

After work I had soccer practice and that didn't turn out so well for the knee. The kids did pretty well today, listened better than the first practice and I did my best to wear them out. But the lateral movements and ball striking really did a number on my knees. Its pretty sore right now, so I took some advil and I'm going to put some bio-freeze on it. I'm planning to run in the morning so hopefully it'll feel alright. Tomorrow is the start of week 5 of the program, which starts with a 5 minute run, then an 8 minute and another 5 minute. I'm going to try to run in a different park this time, one that has a running trail that has less curves then the regular track. Still staying on track as best I can.

Today I looked up some future races, there's a nighttime 5K at a nearby park that runs through their holiday light display in November that looks pretty interesting.  Somedays I feel like I'm never going to be able to run one race, and the next day I'm thinking of when my first marathon will be.  OK, well maybe half-marathon.  honestly, I'll just be happy if I ever can even try to run Peachtree.  We'll see.  One step at a time.


No comments:

Post a Comment