Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Stepping Up

So I missed yesterday's blog post because I was busy doing things other than blogging, but I did get my run in and that's what this is all about in the end. I got to the track at my regular crack of dawn starting time and there were three other runners there. and they were fast runners.  I was a bit intimidated for a minute, but then I realized I'm not in high school anymore and don't really care what these young fast runners think of me, so I fired up my Ipod and hit the track. This was the first day of the third week of the program, so the intervals moved up to 90sec run, 90 sec walk, 3 minute run, 3 minute walk repeated twice. I'm not going to lie, 3 minutes had never felt like such a long time before. I made it through pretty well, but my calves burned pretty badly after slowing to a walk after each long run.

For a minute, I thought I was going to go a day without seeing a hot air balloon, but as I was rounding the last turn on my final cool down walk, there it was hanging in the distance.

The rest of the day I felt pretty good.  I'm certainly not feeling as sore after my runs as I was last week, so I know my body is getting stronger. Today I went to the gym and just did some strength work, lifted weights, no cardio. I don't know if I feel like I'm getting stronger yet, but I'm feeling like I'm starting to make this a habit and to me that's an important start. Finally a productive habit!

Tomorrow I think I'll do some light cardio, keeping my HR in the 70% range and then Friday back to the running.

I saw a great quote today in a tweet by Tim Sanders. He quoted Carl Erskine, Dodger pitching great who said "Bad thinking got me into more trouble than bad pitching did". Its our thoughts that lead our actions, so if you think correctly, you'll act correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment