Monday, September 26, 2011

What a Weekend

Wow, its been a busy couple of days over here! I posted last Wednesday and then Thursday morning I ran another 2.25 miles. Thursday evening I traveled to my old college stomping grounds to recruit at a job fair. I arrived on campus Friday morning at 8am and realized that it was probably the only time I was ever awake at that hour on campus since my Freshman year. Friday night I had a fantastic dinner with a couple of my oldest and closest friends. We don't get together nearly enough, but we always have a great time when we do.

Saturday morning I got on a plane in Newark at 6:30, landed in Atlanta at 8:30 and drove right to the soccer field for our 10:30 game. The kids played great. Its really cool to see some of them starting to understand the game a little bit. After a nice nap in the afternoon, we went to our neighbors for a great barbecue/birthday party. After a night with my old close friends, we had a night with our new close friends. Unfortunately one of those friendships took a turn for the worse the next day, but more on that later. Great times with great people.

Sunday morning I got up and ran. After two days rest I was ready to go for broke and my goal was to run the entire 5K distance. I ended up running 3.5 miles in 44 minutes. I have tons of confidence now going into next week's race. I know I can make the distance without stopping to walk. Hopefully there aren't too many hills on the course. I'm going to run 3 miles on Tuesday and Thursday, then take two days rest before the race Sunday.

One of our neighbors came over for the football game on Sunday. Unfortunately he's a Giants fan and I'm an Eagles fan. The gods of sport obviously made me suffer for allowing the enemy into my house and intervened in the most wretched of ways. Well, fortunately for him he's got a lovely family so I may consider spending time with them again, but it will be painful. He's running with me next week, so I may just have to make him suffer through the humiliation of being out run by a fat guy.

We capped off the weekend with another great dinner with another set of friends. It was a beautiful night with great food and great conversation. This was one of those weekends that just make you thankful to be surrounded by wonderful people and be able to enjoy being with them. Might not have been the best weekend for my diet, but I can truly say that it was 3 days filled with life's treasures, and that's what its all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment