Monday, September 5, 2011

Labor Day My Labor Day

Labor Day has always been a special day for my family and I woke up today thinking fond memories of my father's family and the Jersey Shore  (the good parts, not the ridiculousness that the world has associated with it these days). Took the kids to breakfast and picked up the soccer uniforms at the Y. Its a rainy day here today so we didn't really have anything planned. My legs were feeling great so I decided that I would try to run on the treadmill today and pick up the workout that I couldn't finish last week.

I also decided to wear my old shoes. I don't know if there is a causal effect, but my knee pain started after I bought new running shoes. I figured I'd try my older shoes to see if I felt any better running with them. So I got to the gym at around 11 and it was as crowded as I've ever seen it. I hopped on a treadmill and started walking. Since this workout was 5 min run/3 min walk for 3 runs, I didn't need a podcast and just used my own music. I felt pretty good.  I set my run paces at 4.7 mph or 12:45 min miles. This was pretty comfortable and I got through all three runs fairly well.  I was struggling a bit at the end of the third run, but I got through it and finished just over 2 miles in 30 minutes. Half of that time was spent running. My knee was feeling a little sore at the end, but not too bad. If I can keep up that pace of 12:45 for 5K, I'd finish in less that 40 minutes, which would be absolutely amazing.  I don't expect it, but it would be great. There were several times when I felt I had to slow myself down a bit to keep from running off the front of the treadmill, but I don't really want to push my pace much faster until I know I can run some longer times.

So I did feel some lingering soreness for the rest of the day, that got worse after dinner time.  I'm going to take a day off tomorrow, then do weights on wednesday and try to run again on Thursday. I'm thinking I'll stick on the treadmill for now until I can run without pain in my knee and then try outside again.

At least now I have some more hope that I won't be sidelined forever.  Though I may have to swallow what I paid for those new shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment