Monday, September 17, 2012

Don't Let the Fat Guy Beat You!

I've worked out the logistical questions and I've decided that the A1A half marathon in Fort Lauderdale is going to be my goal. The race is Feb. 17, 6 days after my 40th birthday, so it'll be a great way to usher in a new decade in my life. I announced the other day on Twitter my new training motto and I thought I'd expound on its meaning a bit more in today's post. Now, over the years I've been known to try to make a funny comment only to realize later that it was entirely creepy or inappropriate. I remember during a couple of my spring races coming up on some runners near the end of the race and the thought popped into my head to attempt to inspire them to move by saying "Don't let the fat guy beat you." Fortunately, I resisted the urge, or more likely I was breathing too hard to talk and I didn't say it but the thought popped into my mind again the other day when I was contemplating what I'm about to embark upon.

I was running the other morning and thinking about the challenge I've laid out for myself. I'm going to run 13.1 miles. How in the world am I going to run 13.1 miles?!? While I've shed over 50 pounds in the last 18 months, I'm still about that much over my goal weight so I still think I'm the fat guy. In realizing the power of my thoughts, it occurred to me that the one who is doubting, who can't picture myself accomplishing the challenge is the fat guy. The fat guy inside of me who let himself get to 320 pounds. The fat guy who chooses the wrong foods, who chooses to sleep in, who chooses to give up a run early and not finish it out.

So my personal mantra for this journey is "Don't Let the Fat Guy Beat You"

I've talked to a lot of people this week about training for a half marathon. I decided that the more people I tell, the more accountable I'll become, at least until I register for the race. Each and every one has been very supportive. None showed any doubt that I can finish. The only one with any doubt is the fat guy, so that's why I've decided to crush him.  I will not let the fat guy beat me!

No comments:

Post a Comment