Saturday, October 8, 2011

Travels

I got back into town yesterday afternoon/evening on one of those flights where lots of little annoying things went wrong. I tried to keep a mellow attitude through it all, but the 2 hours it took me to drive home from the airport was almost too much for me to bear. And then to top it all off, the baseball game broke my heart. About a month ago I thought that I had a serious shot for both my favorite football team and baseball team to play for championships this year, but alas it isn't to be. In years past I'd be much more heartbroken about it than I am today, but its still very disappointing.

One bright spot, I did go pick up my race packet for Sunday's 5K last night. I'm really looking forward to getting out there and running again. I ran a couple of miles on the treadmill at the hotel on Thursday. The treadmill is placed right in front of a mirror, so you are forced to stare at yourself while you're running. I enjoy the trails and the rabbits run away when I'm running outside, not so much watching my shirt get wetter in the mirror.  Oh well, at least I got a workout in.

It looks like I'll be running by myself (well alone in the crowd you could say) tomorrow. My goal is to beat my time from last week, but it really isn't that important.  I don't think there is chip timing for this, so I'll just try to go hard the whole way and see how it pans out. Now that I feel pretty settled in with my running schedule, I'm going to go back to doing some weights to help increase my strength. Yesterday I was showering at the hotel which has one of those bathtub showers. When I put my foot up on the bathtub to wash my legs, I was surprised by how well defined the muscles in my calves have gotten!  Now I just have to do some of that with the rest of my body.  I used to joke when I was younger that I have a 6pack stomach, its just hidden under a layer of fat.  I'd like to be able to make that joke again next summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment